That Good Raw Life. Hazardous If Approached Wrong.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

College Madness Pt 1

I recently had the privilege of having a discussion with my friend, who's "just doing it for the refund check," and the following feeling of disapproval and slight disgust pushed me to write this. Being that one of my favorite writers were able to beat my lazy butt in delivery of an essay on the same subject, I've still decided to put my big two cents into the college discussion.

In my most recent post, I spoke of being rewarded with the presence of much desired birthday presents, but this is not a given by far. If it wasn't for my good grades, great work habit, and ability to just enough my way through school all the while gaining the coveted Hope Scholarship, and being able to do this same thing in college and hold on to Hope like Obama's speech writer, I would not be the spoiled(not a brat, I just gets a lot of things) child that I am today. While I don't take these for granted I feel as if many of my peers take their opportunities for granted.

I know I just jumped from bday presents, to college, but my views on higher education is that it is a privilege that is more so viewed as a obligation these days. Most students make the mistake of not getting out of a lower mode of education, not realizing that the teenage wasteland known as high school is built for accomplishment, and that the college experience is much more of a contest between peer groups. Meaning that with each passing school year, more and more people are dismissed from their learning experience due to lower than average scores.

I for one love this feature because my biggest peeve of college level slackers are the ones that complain about school yet won't take the time and effort to quit and enter the real real world. I hate when I see someone who has a scholarship piss that money all away while partying, missing class, and not even taking the time to fail a test by just missing it all together. Maybe they aren't interested in what they are learning in school even in the least of trivial bit, or they just don't give two feces about the knowledge they could be taking in, I don't know because I'm not one of those. I see what I can get out of each and every class even if they have nothing to do with my art major, but more so I see that I have a free ride for the time being in the best time of my life. The other, or as Phil says, the 85% that may have a scholarship just take it for granted. Wait till your parents, or you yourself have to pay for it. Bet it won't be that hard to waste your time and money then.

No comments: