That Good Raw Life. Hazardous If Approached Wrong.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Hometown

I'm sitting in the airport, and I been thinking about the city where I was raised since birth till I was 14, New Orleans. When people first hear the words New Orleans(or pronounced by locals Nawlins) most people tend to think Mardi Gras, Lil Wayne, sexy accents, good food, and most recently Katrina, and when they think of Katrina they ask, "How is it down there.", and the usual answer is, "Uhhhh... it's fine." If you hear the truth that it is truthfully a messed up place, and think that it became this way after the hurricane then you are highly mistaken.
New Orleans has always been a terrible place. Six shootings a night, one of the highest amount of crooked cops and politicians in United States, and now my neighborhood looks like a damn third world country. I didn't even wanna go visit my childhood home this time around. Sure there is some type of rebuilding taking place, but gentrification can't change the attitude of the youth out here. Everyone knows there is a chance of a shooting going down at a party, skate rink, movie theatre, block party, church, french quarter, Mardi Gras parade, etc etc, but that is accepted here. You know why it is accepted here, because it will never change. You may say there are other cities like this in the US, but New Orleans is a tiny ass city.
When I was younger I didn't even know Meteari was a different city separated from the N.O, and there is no such thing as a suburb here. My little cousin use to think my house was in a suburb, but I just lived in a 3 block radius of good. Go back towards the train tracks, and things start getting bad. If you are reading this and wondering what I am getting at with this semi long post, I am saying if you ever visit New Orleans, stay safe and get out quick. I love my city, but I am damn glad I don't live here no more. Went out two nights while I was here, one almost to the movies(had a fight there), and the other almost to the skate rink(me and my friend passed by there after going to the movies and it was surrounded by cops). Just a little example.

No comments: