That Good Raw Life. Hazardous If Approached Wrong.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mos Def The New Danger


Being that I am going to be attending, vibing to, and rocking out at a Mos Def, I felt it was necessary to go back and listen to some of the Mighty Mos' catalogue. While some people automatically think of the solo debut "Black on Both Sides" the sounds of the sophomore album come in vividly clear to my mind.
It may be the balance between rock music, soulful singing, and hip hop lyricism, but I find "The New Danger" to be Mos' most well done and enjoyable album out of the four he has released so far. I'm not saying "Black on Both Sides" isn't a classic in the hip hop world, but the crossover(used for lack of words) music presented in New Danger satisfy me to the essence of my soul.
I say this because while sick rhymes will always be great in my book, nothing beats a great guitar riff, a funk guitar, and some banging drums. In the deepest regions of my being I have the soul of a rock n' rolla. There is just so much more emotion emitted from a song when it combines that of live music. Combining this with the already charismatic and powerful energy of Mos Def makes this album one of the most hard hitting collection of music I own. Every song speaks a different emotion from the one before it. From the hopeful melodies of the opening track "The Boogie Man Song" to the anger felt behind "The Rape Over" and "War". My favorite song for a late night though is "The Panties" which is baby making music in the sense of Al Green or Marvin Gaye. As well, if you ever wondered what Mos Def would sound like singing a blues tune go no farther than Blue Black Jack. This is also my favorite song out the whole album. The Guitarist honestly plays a solo that sound like he was possessed by Stevie Ray Vaughn, so that makes it a good god almighty rating in my book.

No comments: