That Good Raw Life. Hazardous If Approached Wrong.

Friday, May 29, 2009

Viewing Experience: Star Trek


I finally feel upon the opportunity to witness the new J.J. Abrams "Star Trek" film. Now I must admit I had my hopes low for this remake, even though my prior knowledge of the Enterprise Crew was limited to the smallest of pop culture such as a Futurama episode or two. Most remakes just don't entertain due to their grip on the past subject matter. I know most fan boys will get hot headed if even one thing in out of place, but a good remake or translation from one media to another must make a couple of small changes. 

This is just an assumption, but I believe Abrams took the opportunity for changes and put them directly in the plot of the story. As said before I don't know how the characters of the original program interacted, but I'm pretty sure in my own mind that the crew was a little more respectful of Captain Kirk from the start of the first episode. Instead, the movie's Kirk has to earn his respect from wisecracking know it all that most everyone dislikes to his head position of his ship, which not only makes for a good rise from adolescents story as well as an alternate reality story, anybody who has seen the movie knows this too well.

In terms of action, the movie certainly does not fail. Within the first few minutes audiences are presented great explosions of outerspace battles, and are even able to witness the most horrible of deaths in my opinion; being sucked through a hole of a ship into the cold airless vacuum of the unknown. Ain't that some scary shit. The acting also is up to par with all good performances especially from Pine, Pegg, and the guy who played Spock.

All in all, Abram's Star Trek is very entertaining, and even makes me want to view the old episodes. Note I said almost....oh wait I didn't.....well now I have.

No comments: