That Good Raw Life. Hazardous If Approached Wrong.

Monday, May 4, 2009

Cool Kids X Don Cannon: Gone Fishin


I've been waiting for this since I heard about it through Standard, and also missed that fucking party that I paid 30 in advance for. LINK

So I'm sitting here playing COD4, and listening to this dope mixtape on repeat, and at this point I don't know how many times it's gone full circle on the playlist. The last time that this occurred was when I bought Hell Hath No Fury, and played Need for Speed a whole night just listening to the Clipse. The element that draws my attention to this material is the sophistication of beats, and it may be the addition of Don Cannon to the formula may have somewhat perfected Cool Kids own evolution of style. I remember some tracks from the duo last year that sounded similar to this, but still lingered on their usual style of hard bop hip hop with drums that sounded as if the cymbal crashed your head. The tracks featured on "Gone Fishin" substitute a hint of southern style "chill" music with a hint(I use hint loosely) of stoner for the party music on "The Bake Sale". Another good note; Mr. Money Machine uses his usual ad libs comparatively less than his older mixtapes. I wanna submit Don Cannon as DJ of the year for 09 though. I'm calling it right now.

No comments: