That Good Raw Life. Hazardous If Approached Wrong.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Watchmen


I first heard of Watchmen on some ranking show, and they showed one of the final pages with all the dead bodies. I was instantly intrigued yet, I wasn't fascinated again till I heard about the movie, and then decided to buy it finally. I realized that I was missing something in my life as I began reading "The Greatest Superhero Comic". No mutants, only one freak accident turning a man into a god, the smartest man in the world, a woman with a serious bitch complex, and a duo that creates the essence of Batman. Lets not forget the lunatic that is The Comedian.

If that sounds like a complex cast of characters that would create a very confusing movie then you sir are sane, but Znyder still decided to try his hand at a film adaptation, and do what many considered impossible. While it wasn't able to capture the complete feel of the original, Znyder was able to create a entertaining, visually fantastic movie experience with every actor playing their parts well. 

The one and only downfall was that it wrapped up the second half of the story too quickly by changing many obvious details to diehard fans including the cherry on top that pushed Moore's tale over the edge of great to upside down free fall to legendary. I'll have no spoilers here, but just let me tell you I was very disappointed by this surprising twist. No wonder Moore took his name off.

All in all: A-

No comments: